PALO ALTO, Calif. — Houzz has identified six emerging home design trends based on the searches of its community of U.S. homeowners, home design enthusiasts and home professionals.
The 2021 Emerging Home Design Trends Report reflects year-over-year growth in searches on Houzz for April through June this year, compared with the same period in 2020.
The key six trends are:
- Dedicated Activity Spaces: People have been relying on their homes to provide new avenues of activity and entertainment. Searches are up nearly 10x for art studios, nearly 4x for home bars and wine cellars, with home theaters, home gyms and home offices following at 3x, 2.5x and 2x respectively.
- Bringing the Outdoors In: This year, Houzz found that one in five homeowners are opening up their kitchens to the outdoors, with increased searches for artificial plants (up 7x) and trees (up 4.5x), as well as an uptick in searches for green kitchen cabinets, bathroom tile, accent chairs and bedrooms.
- Living Room Refresh: As people have spent more time in their living rooms over the past year, they may be seeking inspiration, with searches for living rooms up 52% compared with the same period in 2020. While accent pillows and home accents have seen some of the most dramatic increases (up 51x and 25x, respectively), other decorative touches are also on the rise.
Design that Offers Flexibility: Many homeowners are turning to furniture options that offer more flexibility. Searches for TV armoires with pocket doors (up 23x), queen murphy beds (up 21x) and nesting side tables (up 20x) create dual uses for a room. Swivel accent chairs (up 20x) create flexible definitions between rooms, and daybed sets (up 9x) offer multiple uses.
- Luxury Fabrics, Materials and Colors: What’s hot in fabrics? It’s going glam with searches incorporating velvet, gold and crystal all on the rise year over year.
- Making a Splash with Pool Design: Outside spaces are also garnering additional attention, with searches for swimming pools and pool houses each more than doubled compared with the same period in 2020. People are looking for specific pool styles, shapes and designs, with searches for pools with water features up nearly 8x.